Breaking News

Welsh Government says Wales will not go back into lockdown again this year

But they will take action if the situation demands it

The fire-break lockdown in Wales, which commenced on the 23rd of October, is likely to be the last lockdown for the country until at least the end of the new year, the Welsh Government has said.

The news follows as Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is considering a new national lockdown measure for England. Scientists have warned that half a million people were being infected with coronavirus each week. Johnson is expected to announce the measure for England at a press conference on Monday, according to The Times.

Similar to the Welsh firebreak, everything except essential shops and educational environments could be closed under the new measure. No final decisions are believed to have been made.

The Welsh Government has confirmed those measures are not likely to have a significant impact on Wales, where a seventeen-day fire-break continues, and will end on the 9th of November.

Health Minister Vaughan Gething has said that a new national set of rules imposed after November 9th should be sufficient to see Wales through to the new year.

Speaking to Times Radio this morning, he said: “We’ve been clear that we’re acting at this point, we’re acting to have a definitive fire-break. We’ll see the benefit of that come after the fire break ends.”

“We all need to do our bit and we as a government have a continuing responsibility to look at what’s happening and act on the basis of the evidence.”

He said that the Welsh Government won’t hesitate to act further if the situation demands it, but the aim is to reach 2021 without further intervention.

“Our aim is to have a clear settlement that allows us to get to the end of the year without this form of intervention again.”

Feature Image: Vaughan Gething – Twitter & Boris Johnson – Twitter