Welsh Government confirms what will reopen when firebreak lockdown ends

Bars and restaurants are expected to reopen

Following the Welsh Government’s implementation of the “fire break” lockdown, they have now set out what places and business we can expect to reopen following the end of the lockdown on Monday, the 9th November.

The “fire break” was implemented at 6pm Friday 23rd October, where “everyone in Wales will be required to stay at home” as stated by Mark Drakeford, the First Minister of Wales. All non-essential businesses were forced to close, other than restaurants who were able to provide takeaway.

In the lunchtime press conference, a statement by Jeremy Miles, the Welsh Government’s Counsel General, outlined which businesses will be allowed to open as soon as the lockdown ends.

Commencing on November 9th: 

• Non-essential shops can reopen

• People will be allowed to go back to work (however, working from home if possible is still advised)

• Churches and places of worship will be able to resume their services

• Bars and restaurants will serve customers

• People will be able to return to gym

This relaxation comes despite a further 1,207 cases of Covid-19 on 27th October, the highest number of daily cases recorded so far in Wales during the pandemic.

This continuing increase in cases has led to the Welsh Government deeming it necessary to compile a new set of national measures for the end of the lockdown. These measures are being worked on this week.

The government will continue to discuss these ideas over the next few days “with local authorities” and “with the police” to ensure the rules made “are right for Wales.”