Cardiff University releases advice on ‘firebreak’ lockdown

All gatherings are banned for two weeks

Ahead of the fortnight-long lockdown in Wales starting at 6pm on Friday 23rd, Cardiff University’s Pro-Vice Chancellor, Claire Morgan, has released information to students on how it will affect them. .

The University has confirmed that libraries and study spaces are staying open and all timetabled in person teaching is set to go ahead.

Students have been asked to stay in Cardiff during the two weeks, as the lockdown aims to reduce the number of coronavirus cases in Wales and amongst students. This is in opposition to the university’s stance in March when many students left the country to travel home.

There is also a reminder that due to this two week lockdown, any gatherings for Halloween or Bonfire night will be considered illegal.

Wellbeing and Support Teams are still available for remote access, for those looking for support during these uncertain times.

In line with Government guidance, the university advises that if you have coronavirus symptoms to book an NHS test, but if you do not have symptoms you can book a university screening test. These are available in the Hayden Ellis building, the Talybont Social Centre and on the Heath Park campus.

If you or a housemate have symptoms or a positive test, you can update on SIMs to say that you need to self-isolate.

All university food outlets will provide takeaway and ‘click and collect’ services. Many of the services provided by the Student Union are online and will remain online throughout the two-week period. All indoor and outdoor university sport facilities and events will close, but reopen as usual on the 9th of November.