Breaking News

Wales to enter a two-week ‘fire break’ lockdown

It will start on Friday this week at 6pm

Wales will enter a two-week national ‘fire break’ lockdown on Friday, Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford has announced.

After careful consideration, the Welsh Government have decided to begin the lockdown on 23rd October at 6pm, running until Monday 9th November.

The lockdown will act similarly to the lockdown we faced in March, with all non-essential shops, pubs and restaurants closing. Everyone will be told to stay in their houses and to work from home.

Community centres, libraries and recycling centres will close. All indoor and outdoor gatherings with people you don’t live with are banned.

Mark Drakeford noted that universities will be able to continue with their blended learning, where students will be able to attend their face-to-face teaching, however students must still stay at home in their uni houses/accommodation when they aren’t attending these.

“Unless we act, the NHS will not be able to look after the increasing number of people who are falling seriously ill”, the Welsh First Minister said, adding a fire break is our best chance of regaining control over the virus, and “avoiding a much longer – and much more damaging – national lockdown, the window in which we have is only a small one”. He added that for the fire breaker to be successful, everyone needs to work together.

The University has yet to comment on the lockdown and how it will affect Cardiff University students.