Breaking News

Cardiff is going into a local lockdown

Thanks Corona for ruining freshers!

As of Sunday 27th at 6pm, Cardiff will be under stricter rules in an attempt to curb rising cases of Coronavirus. The same is to happen in Swansea and Llanelli, making a total of eight local authorities under lockdown in Wales.

The new rules mean that:

• To visit any other household is prohibited. This also means that an extended household agreement previously held (also known as a bubble) will also not be allowed.

• No can enter or leave the borough council area with a ‘reasonable excuse’.

• If you normally work in Cardiff or outside of Cardiff but can work from home, you will expected to do so. One of the ‘reasonable excuses’ is for education though, so if you normally commute into uni or are yet to move back to Cardiff for the academic year, you will be allowed.

This coincides with other new rules that came into force this month in Wales that you must wear a face covering in a shop and all pubs, restaurants and cafes having a curfew of 10PM.

These new measures have come into force after the Government announced that case rates of coronavirus are doubling every seven days. On Monday 21st, Cardiff had had 15 new cases in the previous seven days, but as of yesterday, Thursday 24th, there had been 43 new positive cases in the previous seven day period. This means there are currently 38.2 per 100,000 people infected within the capital city.

Welsh health minister Vaughan Gething linked the rise in cases to people mixing in houses without wearing a mask or socially distancing.