Cardiff University to test students for COVID-19

The tests will be voluntary

Cardiff University have announced in an email sent from the Pro Vice-Chancellor, Claire Morgan, that Covid-19 testing will be available to all students in the coming term. According to the email, students will be “invited to attend” one of the University’s “testing stations for a saliva test for Covid-19” by their own testing service.

The Pro Vice-Chancellor assures, within the message, that the test is “very safe” and “nothing to worry about”. She also states that there will be dedicated staff present to guide the process and answer any questions or queries that students may have.

The email emphasises that the test is voluntary, but adds that they “strongly urge” students to participate. Students who test positive for the virus will need to self-isolate along with any other members of their household. More information on the testing service is expected “in the weeks ahead.”

Alongside information on testing, the Pro Vice-Chancellor additionally details various safety measures to be expected within the University. The email states that students and staff on campus will be “provided with a pack of reusable face-coverings.” Face-coverings will be required within the University buildings, as will two-metre social distancing “regardless of changes nationally/locally.”

The email provided a diagram of “key safety measures”, including:

• “enhanced sanitisation”

• “one way systems”

• “distancing in classrooms”

• “reusable face coverings supplied to all students”

• “a University-wide commitment to keeping each other safe”

• “a University-led COVID-19 testing facility”

• “support services focussed on student wellbeing”

• “working closely with Cardiff Council and Welsh Government”

The message from the Pro Vice-Chancellor concludes with the information that the coach collection service from the airport is, for the “first time”, available to both new and returning international students.

Related stories recommended by this writer

Cardiff Uni language students write open letter to VC to stop year abroad cancellations

Cardiff Uni nursing students to do exams alongside placements due to time lost on COVID frontlines

‘Wednesday afternoons will no longer be reserved for sports’: Cardiff Uni announces