‘Honk for hope’: Coaches sound their horns in protest throughout Cardiff

The protest occurred on Monday morning

Coaches were driving through Cardiff in their masses on Monday morning as a part of the protest #Honkforhope. The array of coach drivers were honking their horns in an effort to call attention to the crisis they are facing due to the ongoing pandemic.

Many cars sounded their horns alongside the coaches, in a show of support to those who have been left without work for the past few months. Coach companies across the country are beginning to struggle, as the pandemic reducing jobs in what ought to be the peak season for coach drivers. Those protesting are seeking more financial help and support from the government during this time.

A petition had previously been signed by members of the Facebook Group ‘Honk for hope’ calling for “a government cash bailout for the coach industry before it’s too late.”

The petition stated that “most companies have had no income since March” and that they “may not till next year”. It also questioned the government’s decision to reopen various tourist locations, asking: “Who takes tens of thousands of people on their holidays?”

The government responded to the petition, listing the measures in place to help coach companies. The response also states that: “the Government continues to work closely with the coach sector to understand what the ongoing risks and issues are, and how these could be addressed”.

After the protest in Cardiff, the group planned to move on to Bristol for another display before gathering at Chepstow Racecourse to hear those who had volunteered to speak.