One way systems and limited seating: what Cardiff looks like right now

There have been BIG changes

Cardiff has undergone some major changes in order to make the city safer amidst the ongoing pandemic. The changes include one-way systems, limited seating, and plenty of hand sanitiser stations.

As the new university term approaches, here’s all the things that students can expect to see upon their return.

One-way systems

Lanes and arrows have been marked upon Cardiff’s streets in order to set up one-way paths through the city. There are, however, small crossings to get from one side to the other so that you can still get into all the shops that you need to.

The markers have been put on both Queen Street and St Mary Street, along with reminders to remain two metres apart.

St David’s shopping centre has also implemented a one-way system that means you enter and exit through certain doors, always walking to the left. There are security guards on some of the doors to ensure that these rules are followed.

In the larger space of the shopping centre, the system almost resembles a roundabout as you walk around it until reaching the section that you desire.

The arcades, such as Morgan’s arcade pictured below, have rainbow stickers on the floor simply saying ‘wait’. This is presumably to ensure that shoppers are at least a few metres apart on busy days.

Shops

Many banks and shops have queuing systems set up outside, with members of staff ready with hand sanitiser as they allow you in. The staff on the doors also often count numbers of people entering and exiting the shops.

Some shops have followed the example of the shopping centre, and set up separate entrances and exits marked both by signs, and arrows taped on the floor.

Whilst Lidl haven’t made many changes to its layout or guidelines, there are regular announcements reminding shoppers to remain two metres apart.

However, Lidl have made changes to the self-service till which now has screens separating customers from one another.

Pubs and Cafe’s

Whilst individual Wetherspoon’s appear to have slightly different rules depending on their resources, such as separate doors for entering and exiting through, there are some standard practices across them all. There is sanitiser available as you walk in and out, and disposable menu’s are available to be picked up by the door as well as binned later.

The Gatekeeper has its guidelines on a sign immediately as you enter, which include rules such as only entering if you “feel well” and not meeting in “large groups”.

Wetherspoon’s pubs have also distanced tables and, where that is not possible, placed screens between them. Each table has a code you can scan for the Government’s track and trace system.

Some cafe’s, such as Costa, have reduced indoor seating so that tables are an adequate distance from one another. They also have signs requesting that you do not sit at a table until it has been cleared and sanitised

The Castle

Castle Street has been closed to traffic, allowing more room for pedestrians as well as the new outdoor seating for the surrounding restaurants. The Castle has opened its doors to the cafe and giftshop for free, but the rest of the castle remains closed.

Circles have been sprayed onto the green outside the castle allowing people to sit on the grass and still socially distance from each other.

Overall, the city might take a bit of getting used to but definitely looks promising in its safety measures, for which it has gone above and beyond.

Related stories recommended by this writer

• ‘Staying safe in the city’: what to expect when you return to Cardiff

• Pencils at the ready: here’s your final fix of the Cardiff Quiz

• Cardiff is not innocent from racism and here’s what POC have to say about it