Breaking News

A Cardiff Black Lives Matter Protest is being held today

The protest is peaceful and adheres to social distancing

A Black Lives Matter, peaceful protest, is being held outside of Cardiff Castle today. The protest is called in solidarity with the US rebellion against police racism after the death of George Floyd.

The protest is being held today (May 31st) from 13:00pm, outside of Cardiff Castle.

A Facebook group was created called ‘BLACK LIVES MATTER (SOCIALLY DISTANCED) PROTEST CARDIFF’, where details of the address, purpose, and time of the socially distanced protest would take place.

The hosts have written on their page that they are “a peaceful protest. No violence of any kind is permitted or at all endorsed by this group. Any one doing so do not represent the groups values.”

Hundreds are expected to attend as the organisers have stressed the need to social distance, urging all who attend that “social distancing must be observed” and though everything they are protesting is important, “the last thing [they] want is the conversation to spoken over and ignored if people do not observe the 2 metre rule.”

They appeared completely overwhelmed by the response they’ve had. As Coronavirus is still a large threat, and lockdown measures still must be adhered too, the organisers have urged that if you are; “live or interact with vulnerable people, we advise you do not attend in order to keep everyone safe.”

The event is organised and hosted by Cardiff University students whom the Tab Cardiff have contacted for a comment.

Know something? Get in touch via email: [email protected]