How Cardiff Students spent Varsity 2020 in lockdown

Because we all miss day drinking and cheering on Team Cardiff …

Whilst we may not have been able to celebrate in Swansea this year, in true Cardiff spirit many students gathered virtually in their sporting attire, beers in hand, to mark the biggest sporting event of the year!

Team Cardiff and Team Swansea joined together to help students mark the occasion from the safety of their own homes with Virtual Varsity. The day was spent with over 30 sports competing in a range of challenges, with teams coming together to make the most out of the situation!

Varsity really wouldn’t be complete without a dark fruits

The Cardiff Netball Team president told The Cardiff Tab:

“We wanted to do varsity as close as we possibly could to the real thing, so as a varsity squad including our head coach we all got together on zoom like we were in the changing rooms before actually playing!! We did all our varsity traditions including motivational quotes and giving positive compliments about every player. We then did a quiz, scavenger hunt and watched a video of our highlights both on and off the court this year!! We said our goodbyes to 5 of us that are leaving and will be looking to come back even stronger ready for varsity next year!!”

Posted by Swansea University Students' Union on Wednesday, 29 April 2020

And if you thought uni work could stop the celebrations, think again! Cardiff students came together in classic Varsity tees on Zoom to start the day with a drink… before getting on with their dissertations.

Just like the real thing? Right…

Unfortunately, the day came to a close with the news that Team Swansea had won Virtual Varsity 17-14. Even if we weren’t able to head back to the SU to to spend the night in classic Cardiff student style, it’s not hard to believe students are preparing for a very big night out when lockdown is eventually finished. If you thought the queues at YOLO were long last year, just imagine what they’ll be like after all this!

The results are in!! Your Virtual Varsity 2020 winners are… SWANSEA !!💚 We are taking the Virtual Varsity shield home…

Posted by Swansea University Students' Union on Wednesday, 29 April 2020

If you are concerned about Coronavirus, you can find more help and guidance here.

Related storied recommended by this writer:

12 iconic things about the SU that we never got to say goodbye to

Third year finished faster than we thought, here’s what you’ll miss the most about Cardiff Uni

Principality Stadium to be transformed into a hospital for COVID-19