Breaking News

Cardiff Uni announce ‘non-detriment’ policy will generate average mark for students

The uni has said that “no student will be disadvantaged”

Cardiff University has revealed what the details of the ‘no-detriment’ policy means, coming at a vital time for all students, especially those in their final year.

The changes come in the wake of disruptions many students have faced due to industrial action and the coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement from the Vice-Chancellor this morning, the policy has been enforced “to ensure that students are not academically disadvantaged”.

The policy announces that Heads of Schools are able to ensure that:

• Assessments used are appropriate, and where possible continue to test the module learning outcomes,
  • Students are provided with the opportunity to demonstrate achievement of the programme learning outcomes,
  • Assessments are conducted with care and due diligence and ensure that students are not academically disadvantaged.

In an email to all students, the university has commented on each individual area which may be affected. Many of the usual approaches have been largely altered, including the capped-mark for resits.

Failed Modules

Typically, a student can only resit a certain number of modules, dependent on the subject. Resist marks would also be capped.

Prior to the no-detriment policy, a ‘resit rule’ was in place, where if the student fails over a certain number of modules, they will have to retake the whole year if they wish to continue.

This year, “if the student failed the module at the 1st attempt, the resit attempt number will remain at attempt 1 and the resit mark will not be capped at the minimum pass mark.” However, if they fail again “the resit attempt number will remain at attempt 2 and the mark will be capped at the minimum pass mark.”

The statement confirms that “students can resit an unlimited number of credits during the resit period”.

Final year students

The university has decided to calculate an average mark of “assessments/modules completed before 16 March 2020” to use “as a reference point to determine a student’s potential outcome.”

They’ve emphasised that “a student will not receive a lower degree classification than that indicated by the average mark.”

“Therefore, the mark used to classify the degree for each individual student will be whichever is the higher of either the final mark or average mark.”

Non-final year students

They’ve stated that “the safety net policy will be updated for future academic years in order that the principle that no student should be disadvantaged in terms of their achievement as a result of the coronavirus crisis during 2019/20 can be applied.”

Some students have greeted the implementation of the ‘non-detriment’ policy with relief, with one student taking to Twitter to express their thoughts.

However, other final year students still aren’t confident in this policy. Joint Honours students have commented on the lack of support due to insufficient communication and different policies between schools.

Final year student Ursula, says:

“I do appreciate the safety net mentality that the university has implemented. However, as a Joint Honours student, it’s disappointing that other measures haven’t been put in place. The lack of communication just causes additional stress on top of everything else”

Others are concerned about motivation, as student Liv Matthews has told The Cardiff Tab that she’s “just found out in mid-April that I’ve graduated uni with a 2:1 so wooo – though does make it hard to keep motivated and actually write this diss now.”

The university now have the email address [email protected]. for any student with concerns or queries regarding the details of the safety net policy.