Image may contain: People, Apparel, Clothing, Field, Stadium, Arena, Building, Person, Human
Breaking News

Wales v Scotland Six Nations game has been called off last minute due to COVID-19

The number of cases in Wales has risen to 38

The Six Nations Wales v Scotland game, to be played on the Saturday 14th March, has been called off over coronavirus outbreak. It was the only Six Nations game to be played this weekend, whereas the others were cancelled previously.

The WRU has postponed the match to later in the year after the number of cases of coronavirus in Wales has risen to 38. With an increase of COVID-19 cases within Wales, they mentioned in a statement that calling off the game was in the best interests for “supporters, players and staff”.

Despite the WRU confirming the go ahead of the game early Thursday 12th March, there was a U-turn as of Friday amid the increase of cases across the UK.

A statement made by the WRU states: “Whilst medical advice remains consistent, we have decided that it is in the best interests of supporters, players and staff to fall in line with recent measures taken across the UK and global sports industries.

“The WRU would like to thank all parties for their counsel on the subject and will make further announcements with respect to rescheduling the fixture in the coming days.

“Given the fluid and unprecedented nature of this issue, a postponement became the only viable option.”

Cardiff Uni students signed up to work at the game via Jobshop and one student said “it’s for the best, I was surprised they [didn’t cancel earlier]”.