A drunk student ripped down and stole SU Election banners last night

Candidates have said the banners take hours to make

Last night, a drunk student tore down several SU election banners and candidates woke up to the news this morning.

The student is anonymous, however, a video was posted online showing the incident taking place by The Woodville pub.

Orla Tarn, SU President candidate spoke to The Cardiff Tab and said it was the work of a drunk student.  She has also said that she has managed to retrieve her banners, however, some have not been so lucky.

Orla is not taking this incident to heart and said: “There will always be a few students who don’t want to engage and this is fine – it’s just important to keep pushing to reach as many students as possible to ensure the best turnout.”

This morning about 12 hours painting effort was torn down from outside the Woodville, RIP (literally) 🤔I hope it…

Posted by Orla The Explorer for Students' Union President on Wednesday, 4 March 2020

VP Welfare candidate, Georgie East, claimed that her banner was stolen after discovering the cable ties had been cut during the incident.

The Cardiff Tab also spoke to Tomos Evans, a candidate for the position SU President. He said that he was disheartened by the incident as each of his banners took 1 and a half hours to make. Tomos also said that he doesn’t believe that there is animosity towards any of the candidates and that this was purely done out of drunkenness.

Let’s hope the drunk student has second thoughts and decides to return the banners. Whether they do or not, the incident isn’t slowing down this year’s candidates.

There’s still time for you to have your say in the election, vote here.

Know something? Send a tip to [email protected]