Image may contain: Wheel, Machine, Sidewalk, Pavement, Van, Tarmac, Asphalt, Road, Truck, Architecture, Building, Path, Bus, Car, Automobile, Transportation, Vehicle, Person, Human

Cardiff listed as one of the world’s most at risk cities from global warming

It’s at risk of being underwater by 2050

A recent report shows that Cardiff is listed as one of the most at risk cities from climate change.

Cardiff is only one of two European cities to be considered in danger, ranking 6th out of 85 world cities. London is the second European city and ranked way behind Cardiff at 22nd.

Consequences of global heating are already being witnessed around the world with increased grass fires, incredibly hot summers and quickly diminishing ice caps. The new study suggests Cardiff's impact will be severe, facing challenges such as rising sea levels.

The results were conducted by a Nestpick funded project, looking at three major factors such as sea level, climate shift score and water shortage.

Since it's constantly raining in Wales (and yes, the infamous joke is true), we won't have issues with drinking water. Yet, rising sea levels is a severe issue and it is thought that Cardiff could potentially be underwater by 2050.

To combat this, Cardiff needs to cut back its emissions urgently, as it currently ranks 45.88 in sea levels and this is continuing to grow.

Omer Kucukdere, CEO at Nestpick said: "These results are eye-opening to our team at Nestpick, as a number of the cities which will undergo the most drastic changes in climate over the next three decades[…] governments need to be aware of potential changes coming so that they can mitigate damage."

A Cardiff Council spokesman said: "Residents can be reassured that Cardiff Council is currently working with Welsh Government to reinforce its coastal defences so they are able to deal with predicted rises in sea levels caused by the climate emergency.

The city is built around three rivers which flow into the second-highest tidal estuary in the world. It has always been at risk of flooding and our civil contingencies risk register recognises it as the main risk to the city.

The council is currently developing a one planet policy to help tackle climate change with the aim of making our city carbon neutral in the future."

This image from climate organisation Climate Central, shows how much of the city could be underwater in 80 years:

Image may contain: Plot, Atlas, Diagram, Map

Image: Climate Central

Experts are saying prevention and cutting emissions is the most effective way to ensure that Cardiff can reduce its risk. As a university, Cardiff University has already taken a step forward by declaring a climate emergency and committing to reducing their carbon emissions.