Image may contain: People, Helmet, Crowd, Accessory, Accessories, Sunglasses, Banner, Text, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Shoe, Person, Human

Cardiff University is one of the top 10 LGBT+ employers in the UK

The University placed tenth on the list by LGBT+ charity Stonewall

The LGBT+ charity Stonewall has released its ‘Top 100 employers for LGBT+ people in 2020’ list, and Cardiff University has been placed tenth.

The list is compiled from the Workplace Equality Index- "the UK’s leading benchmarking tool for LGBT inclusion in the workplace."

According to Stonewall, institutions on the list have "done great work over the past year to help achieve acceptance without exception for all LGBT people". Cardiff was the highest places university on the list. Last year Cardiff University placed eleventh and in 2018 they placed fourteenth.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor Professor Karen Holford said: “The University is delighted to have made it into the top 10 of the Stonewall Top 100 employers for the first time.

“This achievement represents over a decade of commitment to LGBT+ equality including policy development, introducing LGBT+ into our curricula, increased support for our trans staff and students and working together with our LGBT+ student community and our fantastic allies to create an environment where people can truly be themselves.”

Along with achieving tenth place on Top 100 employers for LGBT people, Cardiff University is also recognised by Stonewall as a top trans employer in 2020. This means that Cardiff University is supportive of transgender and non-binary employees, for those that are transitioning, recognises non-binary employees, and openly supports ‘trans-specific events such as Trans Day of Visibility’.

Cardiff University has also won an award for Network Group of the Year in 2020 for their LGBT+ staff network Enfys. According to the Stonewall website, "alongside providing confidential support and completing policy reviews, they have organised dozens of events- from networking for all members, to awareness-raising sessions marking LGBT History Month."

Know something? Send tips to [email protected]

Want to break stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @thetabcardiff on Instagram or The Tab Cardiff on Facebook.