Image may contain: Apartment Building, Walkway, Path, Suburb, Downtown, High Rise, Car, Automobile, Vehicle, Transportation, City, Street, Road, Town, Urban, Building, Neighborhood

Cardiff police increase stop and search rights after two stabbings in 24 hours

Police have authority to search any pedestrian

Cardiff Police have increased their stop and search rights under a Section 60 notice after two stabbing incidents within a 24-hour period.

In hope to prevent future knife crime, South Wales Police have the right to stop and search any pedestrian, vehicle, drivers and passengers for any offensive weapons or dangerous instruments.

According to a statement by the South Wales Police Cardiff, the first stabbing incident occurred around 7:40am on Friday 31st January on Smeaton Street in the Riverside area of Cardiff. A man was taken to the University Hospital of Wales with stab wounds, but his conditions have been described as stable.

The second incident was at 2:23am on Saturday 1st February in London Square, Butetown. A 33-year-old man was taken to the University Hospital of Wales where he remains in critical condition.

As a result of both incidents, South Wales Police have issued a Section 60 notice, giving officers authority to stop and search anyone in Butetown, Grangetown and Riverside areas of Cardiff.

Following two stabbing incidents in Cardiff within a 24 hour period, we have issued a Section 60 notice. The notice…

Posted by South Wales Police : Heddlu De Cymru on Saturday, February 1, 2020

A spokesperson for the South Wales Police Cardiff said: "The notice authorises any Constable in uniform, within that locality to exercise the powers under Section 60 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994.

"Although these incidents are not being linked, the notice has been put in place with the aim of preventing serious violence, to find dangerous instruments or to apprehend anyone carrying weapons."

Anyone with information on the stabbing instances is asked to contact 101 or private message the South Wales Police's Facebook page

Anyone with information with regard to the above incidents is asked to contact South Wales Police on 101, via private message on their Facebook page, or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800555111.