Image may contain: Metropolis, Office Building, Town, Urban, City, Condo, Housing, Bridge, Arch Bridge, Arched, Arch, Architecture, Building
Breaking News

Students are protesting today at Liberty Bridge over votes lost to admin error

The protest starts at 5pm

Cardiff students are protesting today outside Liberty Bridge after registering errors from Cardiff Council.

Hundreds of students have missed out on the opportunity to vote in the election today.

Cardiff students posted on the Facebook page, 'Overheard at Cardiff University' to announce plans by NUS Wales to protest at 5pm outside Liberty Bridge.

Image may contain: Page, Text

Students are sharing the protest info on social media

An event has been created on Facebook, to raise awareness and support for the protest.

Image may contain: Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Poster, Advertisement, Text

The protest is in response to Cardiff Council's statement in which they deny responsibility for the registration errors and refuse to let students register today for the vote.

Image may contain: Document, Webpage, File, Text, Word

Statement from Cardiff Council

A Cardiff Council spokesperson said: "A number of people living in student accommodation have supplied incomplete addresses. Without the full and accurate address, including flat and room numbers, it is not possible to add individuals to the register."

They go on to say that "it is the responsibility of the elector to validly register and there is no obligation on the Electoral Registration Officer to chase up invalid applications."

Students are urging others to apply for an emergency vote by proxy, however there is no guarantee of this. An emergency proxy only applies to those with unforeseen circumstances.

Students have taken to Twitter to express their disappointment over Cardiff Council's actions.

With other Twitter uses also expressing concern.

The protest will take place at 5pm today outside Liberty Bridge accommodation.