Image may contain: Housing, Neighborhood, Architecture, Downtown, City, Town, Building, Urban, Person, Human

Lib Dem candidate apologises for offensive tweets made while he was a student at Cardiff Uni

He apologised for being an ‘ignorant manchild’

A Liberal Democrat candidate for parliament in Cardiff has been forced to apologise after his offensive past tweets emerged.

Dan Schmeising, the Lib Dem candidate for Cardiff South and Penarth, posted the tweets in 2013 and 2015.

He was a student at Cardiff University at the time of the tweets, studying Chemistry between 2013 and 2017. He was also social secretary of the karate club.

In one tweet, he referred to another Twitter user as a "FAGGOT".

Image may contain: Credit Card, Word, Label, Human, Person, TextImage may contain: Word, Text, Person, Human

In his apology on Twitter, Dan said:

"Hey look, it's my turn to be cancelled!

"Someone's dug up screenshots of very off-colour and not okay things I said in the past on here. I've deleted them because they were comments made in ignorance that don't speak for me now- but they shouldn't have been made in 1st place.

"I hope people can appreciate that I've done my best to move past the ignorant manchild I was and be a better ally – but I'm still sorry for the person I was then and the things I said. I can't change that, but I can try to be better."

He has since deleted the tweets, but his cover photo remains a tweet reading "cool it Dan smashmouth".

Image may contain: Document, Id Cards, Text, Human, Person

Featured image credit: Jeremy Segrott Flickr, edited, via Creative Commons license.