Image may contain: Photo, Portrait, Photography, Girl, Female, Smile, Person, Human, Face

Greta Thunberg has praised Cardiff Uni in a video shoutout

She’s a big fan of the new climate change centre in Cardiff

Climate activist Greta Thunberg has praised Cardiff University in a video shout out, where she commends Cardiff's new centre for climate change located at the university.

The new centre, named the Centre for Climate Change and Social Transformations (CAST) opened in September and is located within the psychology tower.

It is a collaborative effort from Cardiff University along with the University of Manchester, University of York and East Anglia universities, which will work closely with industry, governments, and charities to help tackle climate change.

The centre will focus on individuals' impact on the climate by targeting four areas of everyday life which impact the environment greatly but are stubborn to change. These areas are the consumption of goods and physical products, food and diet, travel, and heating or cooling of buildings.

Greta Thunberg, an iconic figure in environmental activism, released a short video commending the efforts of CAST, and labelling their work "extremely important and essential".

She says: "I think what you're trying to achieve with CAST is extremely important and essential because we need to take drastic measures to change our lifestyles and our current social and economic system because we cannot go on like we are today, it is too unsustainable.

"So I wish you the best of luck. Continue, I stand behind you."

CAST's new director, Professor Lorraine Whitmarsh, said in a statement: "While there is now international momentum on action to tackle climate change, it is clear that critical targets, such as keeping global temperature rise to well within 2 degrees Celsius relative to pre-industrial levels, will be missed without fundamental transformations across all parts of society.

“At the Centre for Climate Change and Social Transformations we recognise that climate change is an emergency that requires action on a far greater scale than has been seen so far. We will address the fundamental question of how we can live differently and better, in ways that meet the need for these systemic, deep and rapid emission reductions.”

Growing concerns amongst young people have helped drive the funding towards finding a more sustainable, environmentally friendly future.

It's hoped that CAST will succeed in finding lifestyle alternatives that can help drastically cut our emissions.