Image may contain: Crowd, Face, Team Sport, Sports, Sport, Team, Clothing, Apparel, People, Person, Human

Cardiff Met’s football team qualify for the Europa League

They’re the first university team ever to qualify

Cardiff Met Uni Football Club have made it through to the Europa League, Europe's second biggest football tournament, after winning in Welsh premier league play-offs.

They had finished sixth in the Welsh Premier League this year, but this was enough to get through to play-offs for the fourth Welsh spot in the Europa League.

The final play-off against Bala Town Football Club ended 1-1 on Sunday, but Cardiff Met took the win 3-1 on penalties.

This is the third time the Cardiff Met team have been close to qualification, reaching the play-off finals in both 2017 and 2018, but this is the first time they have been victorious.

The team, which is entirely made up of Cardiff Met students, have won a £193,000 prize for qualification.

The victory will see them head to Europe in the summer to play in the same competition as clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United, though they will enter at an earlier stage.

They will be the first university team ever to play in European football.

Congratulations to the team!