Cardiff University students could win up to £250 for doing a survey on mental health

The survey aims to help the National Centre for Mental Health understand student mental health and wellbeing.

Cardiff University's Student Support Team have partnered with The National Centre for Mental Health to help understand student mental health and wellbeing.

NCMH are inviting all Cardiff University Students to take part in their online survey as part of their 'How are you?' project. Taking part will vitally help NCMH and Cardiff University to support students more effectively through future improvements to student wellbeing services. The short survey is completely confidential and anonymous and Cardiff University students could also win up to £250 after taking part.

A survey in 2015/16 showed that over 15,000 first-year students in UK universities reported that they had a mental health problem, compared to around 3,000 students in 2006 (Statistics from the Mental Health Foundation).

These rising statistics show how prominent the impact mental health and wellbeing can be for students, and how important the correct support is. By taking part in this research study you can help to improve the understanding of the conditions many students at Cardiff University are experiencing.

The survey is open exclusively to Cardiff University students

Sarah Rees, a research assistant based in the School of Medicine at Cardiff University, told us that through the 'How are you?' initiative, she is “hoping that learning more about student mental health and wellbeing will lead to new ways of supporting students in the future", especially as University is such a critical transition point in young people's lives.

This support is vital, not only in providing student support but in paving the way to opening up the conversation and removing the stigma about mental health. Sarah also added that they are inviting all students to take part, regardless of "whether you’ve have been affected by mental health problems or not, to help us make difference.”

As well as benefiting the University's services and understanding of mental health, every student who takes part in the survey is automatically entered into a prize draw. The top cash prize is £250 and there are also many smaller prizes.

Take part in the survey here: https://www.ncmh.info/howareyou