Image may contain: Rock Climbing, Cliff, Mountain Range, Mountain, Climbing, Nature, Sports, Sport, Clothing, Apparel, Helmet, Adventure, Leisure Activities, Human, Person, Outdoors

Cardiff University student who died climbing Ben Nevis named Patrick Boothroyd

He was Vice-President of the Mountaineering Society

A Cardiff University student who died while climbing Ben Nevis, Britain's highest peak, has been named. Patrick Boothroyd, 21, from West Yorkshire, studied Geology at Cardiff and was on course for a First Class degree. He and his climbing parter, also a Cardiff student, fell 1600 feet from the Tower Gulley area of the mountain on Sunday. It is believed the fall was due to an overhanging ledge of snow collapsing on them.

While his partner, a male in his 20s, sustained no life-threatening injuries, Patrick died after the pair were airlifted to Belford Hospital in Fort William.

A statement issued by the Mountaineering Society, of which Patrick was Vice-President, read: "As many of you are already aware, Patrick Boothroyd passed away on Sunday. He was a loved friend and an amazingly valued member of our Committee and club as a whole.

"He will be missed dearly by all, his passing has left a hole in both our hearts and the club. We will all forever cherish our fond memories of him."

Image may contain: Face, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Female, Pants, Boy, Plant, Cliff, Wilderness, Shorts, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing, Nature, Outdoors, Rock

Our thoughts goes out to Patrick's family and friends in this difficult time.