Cardiff University’s mental health spending is well below the national average

According to our 2017 Mental Health Rankings

Hide Images

According to The Tab's National Mental Health Rankings of 2017, Cardiff University's mental health spending is substantially below the national average. Overall, Cardiff came 30th.

The Tab's Mental Health Rankings 2017 is the only study to assess UK universities' ability to care for students with mental health issues. Read the full rankings here.

18 universities spent more per student than Cardiff and 7 spent less per applicant to the university’s services.

Our findings show that Cardiff spent £20.29 per student on its counselling and wellbeing services – the national average is £22.06 – and £230.89 per applicant, below the average of £329.56.

For satisfaction, Cardiff ranked 30 out of 47 in our survey.

Of the 15 universities to return data for waiting times, Cardiff came fifth.

Now in their second year, the rankings cover 47 universities across the country.

They pull together information about how well universities fund their mental health services, how long students have to wait for help, and how satisfied students are with their university's mental health services.

Over 9,000 students completed our mental health survey this year, and told us about their experiences.

Universities have a duty of care for their students, and mental health falls squarely under this.

We're aiming to paint the truest picture of mental health at university, and how it's handled.

In response to the rankings, Cardiff University’s Director of Student Support and Wellbeing, Ben Lewis said: “Whilst it is totally legitimate to scrutinise this subject, The Tab has a duty to undertake and present findings in a fair and accurate manner.

“It does not, for example, compare the sector as a whole – focusing on 47 institutions out of over 170 in the UK. Nor does it normalise for size, shape and demographic."

Lewis called the sample size of 9,000 students "highly unrepresentative" of the UK’s student population as a whole, citing Cardiff University's 30,000 students.

Lewis pointed out that some of their services which help people with mental health fall outside their counselling and wellbeing budget, and so "would not be outlined in responses to the specific FOI questions posed.” For example, the Medical School Student Support Unit and Mental Health Advisers, and an Occupational Health Physician retained who often advises on managing mental health cases.

The response said Cardiff "operates a non-traditional model of counselling and wellbeing support,” which makes its services difficult to compare. “Alternative provision may be available and be more appropriate."

"The University’s Counselling and Wellbeing team provide a ‘safety net’ for those experiencing difficulties, as well as outreach work where we seek to connect with and talk to students. Part of their role is to make appropriate referrals into the NHS primary care system.

“Our support services also have a role, working in partnership with our Students’ Union, to de-stigmatise mental health issues and build University and Student Community responses to wellbeing."

Lewis also highlighted new work the university is doing, including how the "new Step Change framework is setting out how universities can take a whole-institution approach to promoting positive mental health for students and staff.”