Image may contain: Car, Vehicle, Van, Ambulance

Crwys Road was closed last night as armed police attended cannabis bust

The reason behind the Crwys Road closure

Last night Crwys Road was closed due to a 'police incident', which has now been revealed to have been due to a cannabis bust.

The closure caused huge amounts of traffic and people were instructed by police to leave the scene.

It has now been disclosed that two men from the Splott area were arrested on suspicion of producing cannabis.

Armed police officers closed the road and a helicopter circled the area while investigations took place, and as soon as the road was believed to be safe for the public it was reopened around 6:30pm.

South Wales police have issued the following statement: “At around 5pm this afternoon police in Cardiff attended an address on Crwys Road in the Cathays area of Cardiff where they arrested two men, aged 49 and 60, from the Splott area of the city on suspicion of the production of Cannabis.

“Both men have been taken to Cardiff Bay police station. The street was closed for a short period while investigations took place and the property was made secure.

“Armed officers were also deployed as a precaution to ensure the safety of the public.

“Anyone with any information concerning the production or supply of illegal drugs should contact South Wales Police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.”