Breaking: Fire engines called to blaze in Main Building

The fire is said to be in the Chemistry block

Emergency services have been witnessed outside Cardiff University’s Main Building, due to a fire in the building’s Chemistry department.

The building has been evacuated and crowds are gathering outside, with students and staff being stood around the premises for at least 35 minutes.

Jack, a fourth year studying Chemistry, told The Tab: “You could smell the smoke, apparently it was all down to the fire spreading to the solvent cupboard, but I’m not sure what caused it”.

15:29pm

Students have been waiting outside for over an hour at this point.

Cardiff University’s Head of Security told us: “There’s a fire of an unknown source at the moment in the Chemistry department, which has been put out.

“Nobody’s been injured, and there’s an investigation by the fire brigade currently taking place in regards to the cause of the fire.”

15:48pm

One student told The Tab the Head of Chemistry department has said those studying in the right hand side of the building will not be allowed in until tomorrow. People whose belongings are in the left wing are allowed to go in and collect their bags if escorted by security.

15:58pm

A Cardiff University spokesperson has released a media statement, saying: “We are aware of a fire in Cardiff University’s Main Building.

“All staff and students have been evacuated safely and we are in contact with relevant emergency services and University security.

“It remains an on-going incident. We would advise that Main Building remains inaccessible to staff, students and visitors until we are advised by the Fire Service that it is safe to return to the building.”