‘For the first time, I felt completely helpless’: An American’s reaction to the election

I’m scared for myself, my friends, loved ones, and for my country

My country has elected a racist, homophobic, misogynistic imbecile as our 45th president.

As an American watching this election from Cardiff, one thing was made painfully clear – we’re a joke.

America has elected a president who called Mexicans “rapists”, called global warming a hoax created by China, mocked a disabled reporter, proposed banning an entire religion from the U.S., said women should be punished for having abortions, said that he would force the military to commit war crimes, attacked the parents of a fallen soldier, declared bankruptcy six times, lost a billion dollars in one year, bragged about not paying income taxes, has a trial for fraud coming up in November, encouraged violence at his rallies, bragged about committing sexual assault, and was accused by 12 woman of committing sexual assault.

14971506_1457634140917820_576637514_o

The state of North Carolina illegally removed a significant number of black Democrat voters from the voter polls without reason, in Virginia we’ve seen a Trump supporter intimidating Democrats outside of a polling station whilst armed with a gun and further intimidating mothers and their children, and in Mississippi, a black church was burned down with ‘Vote Trump’ painted on the side.

For the first time, I felt completely helpless. I could have never imagined that over 50 per cent of the U.S. population shared Trump’s bigoted sentiments. I can no longer walk around comfortably when I return back home, the fear of racism and bigotry will always be at the back of my mind. Even in Manhattan, one of the most liberal cities in America, thousands were found chanting “We hate Muslims, we hate blacks, we want our great country back”.

As Jon Stewart put it so eloquently, “This country isn’t yours, you don’t own it. It never was. There is no REAL America.” So get your head out of your ass.

Lord Supremo

I’m scared for myself, my friends, loved ones, and for my country. This election showed me and my fellow brothers and sisters of colour that we don’t matter, that we are worth less because of the way we were born. It shows women that men can take claim on our bodies without our permission and without consequences. It shows Muslim Americans that their religion alone is reasonable grounds to punish and discriminate against them. This is not a message that can be passed down to the next generation.

To my Hispanic, Black, Asian, Muslim, disabled, LGBTQ friends, to sexual assault survivors and immigrants (undocumented and documented), I am sorry. I am so sorry.

America, you’ve let us down.