Things to do on the weekend that aren’t in Cardiff

There’s so much more to Wales

It’s a fact: weekends are meant for drinking. But in reality, that’s more often than not in the nights. The things you do in the day can be equally as fun, especially when you realise there is a lot more to Wales than the things you can do in Cardiff. Get out there and see the rest of Wales.

Pen-y-fan

The highest peak of South Wales is always a fun thing to endure if you’re feeling up to it. The trek doesn’t take too long and it gets your exercise in for the day. Not only does it offer beautiful Welsh views but it’s also near Brecon and the Beacons. If you wander into the town you will find great ice cream, amazing food and decent booze, as well as experiencing an authentic Welsh town.

Oakwood

Speed is the best

This Welsh theme park is not well known to many visitors to the country, but is a favourite among the Welshies. It is situated in Pembrokeshire in West Wales, and takes just under two hours to get there by car, but that’s still the nearest theme park to Cardiff. It has three roller coasters and a water ride that will make you scream.

Folly Farm

Situated on the same lane as Oakwood Park, Folly Farm and Zoo offers you a lighter day, viewing many animals including lions, rhinos and giraffes, as well as your conventional farm animals. It also won Best Day Out in Wales in 2015.

Saint Fagan’s

Take a step back in time when you go to this historical museum unlike any other. It has free entry so you’ll have a cheap day out. It includes looking at old buildings as they were built originally as well as looking around a castle.

You can also have a horse and carriage around the village as you immerse yourself in the history of a Welsh community.

Heatherton World of Activities

Heatherton is full of fun adventures including go-karts, archery, paint balling and walking on water. There’s even a giant maze that you can try to conquer, with clues inside that you have to find. Entry admission is free, but some activities you must pay for once you’re inside.

Can’t stop me now

It’s situated in Tenby which is worth the visit itself, but this fun activity park only takes between an hour 1/2 and two hours to get there by car.

The beaches

Wales has many lovely beaches including Porthcawl, Tenby, Ogmore, Swansea and Barry Island.

Each is good for individual reasons, but all in all they’ve been voted some of the best in Europe. So whether you want bangin’ fish and chips, fun fair rides, a lovely walk with epic scenery, or Elvis-themed parties (I’m looking at you, Porthcawl), Welsh beaches are always a fun day out.

I mean, there’s a reason we’ve been voted the 4th most beautiful place in the world.

Glyndwr Vineyard

Visit a vineyard in Wales if you still want your weekend to be boozy. You can have wine tasting and a tour of the country’s oldest vineyard.

And if wine isn’t your thing, there’s also plenty of breweries around the country that you can visit.