Everything you need to do in Cardiff before you leave

What can you do to procrastinate that isn’t Netflix?

Term is slowly ending, and exam period is a month away (crying). But what awesome things does Cardiff have to offer over the next few months to keep you smiling over this stressful period? If you’re in third year, consider this your bucket list before you finally fly from the Cardiff nest.

X Festival

Headliners Craig David and Annie Mac definitely make this two-day festival on June 3rd-4th worth going to in celebration of the end of exams. There are still some final tickets available, so definitely something to consider with your housemates.

Street Food Circus

What is defined as a “a pop-up street food night market”, the Street Food Circus serves a huge range of food for a range of tastes and appetites, making going out for food so much more fun.

What a beauty

Parks

Roath Park, Bute Park, Pontcanna Fields, Cardiff Bay… Cardiff is full of beautiful areas where you can kick back and enjoy the sunshine (when it appears).

Glee Club

If you’ve never been, this is definitely worth a visit; if you don’t mind leaving with a sore tummy.

Go walkies

Garth’s Mountain

What about something a bit further away? Climb Garth’s Mountain! I wouldn’t quite call it a mountain, but you do feel like you’ve conquered something when you reach the top. Get the train to Taff’s Well from Cathays, and then head up Garth’s Mountain -there are various guides on the route online. When you reach the top there are beautiful landscape views and you’re able to see all the way to Cardiff.

Arts and sports

You need to visit the Millennium Centre, St David’s Hall, Principality Stadium, and The Motorpoint… There are loads of huge concert halls in Cardiff, so why not go and watch, say, Rick Astley tomorrow? Cardiff attracts loads of great artists and amazing events and coming up includes: Busted, Dream Boys (that’s right ladies…Magic Mike is coming to Cardiff), and Billy Elliot  amongst others including various operas and symphonies if you fancy something more sophisticated.

Get some culture

Cardiff culture

Go to Cardiff Museum, Cardiff Castle, Caerphilly Castle, Castle Coch… Cardiff and its surrounding areas, if you haven’t already noticed, is full of some amazing heritage, embrace it whilst you’re here because it really is quite impressive. And I bet you would never bother going again after university finishes.

Some specific events

Xpresstival

Cardiff University’s Xpress Radio is taking over Clwb Ifor Bach to bring us some of their favourite artists. The event is on 16th April and tickets cost £8.

Lady Boys of Bangkok

Supposedly one of the UK’s favourite cabaret shows, the Lady Boys of Bangkok, which is coming to Cardiff on 22nd-30th April,  is bound to be a night of glitter, sequins and full of laughter.

Silent Forum

Strange Daze Fest

Another music festival!? Yes, Cardiff has quite a big live music scene, and this festival on 27th– 29th May,  is hosting (amongst many other artists) a Cardiff University band, ‘Silent Forum’, an up and coming artist performing at Blissfields this year, and soon releasing their first EP, definitely something to look out for. Tickets are £10 per day or £25 for the whole weekend

There is a huge amount going on in Cardiff, and in the summer, this is definitely the time to enjoy it, do something different, go on a pedalo in Roath Park, see a band like Silent Forum that you’ve never heard of before, experience a show like Lady Boys of Bangkok that’s sure to have an impact on you. Chill and enjoy Cardiff during your exams, you can’t just see the walls of the ASSL.