Taxi drivers have explained why they refuse fares

They’ve had 95 complaints in six weeks

Cardiff’s taxi drivers have been forced to explain the reasons they refuse fares after an increasing number of complaints and speculation.

Plaid Cymru submitted a Freedom of Information request regarding the denial of taxi journeys.

In an attempt to get to the bottom of the issue, they requested the individual driver’s specific reasoning for refusing passengers, particularly those that have been denied shorter distance journeys.

Taxi companies have come under fire for not taking passengers home without a valid excuse

Taxi drivers responded with a number of reasons as to why they refuse fares from the driver being on a booked call, or break, to waiting to pick up a friend.

They also claimed that they they will refuse fares if the driver is not willing to travel to a specific area as they feel for their personal safety or they are driving a private hire vehicle.

If a driver states that a potential passenger was excessively drunk or that the potential passenger was threatening them then they have the right to refuse the fare.

It is a criminal offence for taxi drivers to refuse a fare “without reasonable excuse”.

Laura, a Pharmacy third year, said: “Taxi drivers are still turning away students who want fares to Cathays.

“I’ve been denied taxi’s after a night out in Soda on Mill Lane during Freshers’ and in the last two weeks.”

There were 95 complaints in six weeks after the sexual assaults in September

These results cover from April until October 20, in which 75 complaints were made.

Since then at a full council meeting on October 22 it was revealed there had been an “unprecedented” 95 complaints, many of which concerning the refusal of fares.

Leader of Plaid Cymru and Assembly Member for South Wales Central, Leanne Wood said: “There are significant safety issues if taxi drivers refuse fares, particularly late at night or in the early hours of the morning.

“Passengers, especially women, face potential danger if they are forced to walk home through deserted streets.”

Lauren, a third year, argues: “These excuses aren’t good enough, why would you be sitting in a taxi rank outside a nightclub on your break.

They shouldn’t be allowed to turn us down.”