Student guilty of raping a fresher on her first night at uni

He said it was ‘fully consensual’

A student at a Cardiff university has been found guilty of raping a fresher in September 2014.

Akeem Hassain, 20, claims that sex between them had been “fully consensual”, however, a fellow student had stated “she had been so drunk she had to be helped back to her room”.

Prosecuting counsel, Michael Jones, told the jury that she had woken up after her first night in Cardiff to someone having sex with her.

The attack happened on the girl’s first night at university

A female witness told the court the pair were seen socialising in the evening before drinking began, but the night was “a bit of a blur”.

She added that the following morning she went into the girl’s room to find her crying, saying a man had had sex with her, although she asked him to stop, and she was unsure who he was.

The defence suggested she claimed rape to “save her reputation”,  but Mr. Jones told the jurors: “He took advantage of a woman in a vulnerable state.

“The fact a woman is intoxicated gives no one the right to take advantage, but it may give them the opportunity.”

When being arrested Hassain said: “This can’t be right, I’m studying Police Sciences.”

A request for bail until sentence was refused, Judge Phillip Richards said: “Regrettably I have no alternative to now remand you in custody.”

Hassain will be sentenced in two weeks.