Freshers’ Week blighted by two sexual assaults

Police inquiries are ongoing

Two sexual assaults have taken place during Cardiff Freshers’ Week.

The first occurred by the University Main Building at around 3am on Sunday and the second, on Cathays Terrace, was reported yesterday.

Police have warned people to “walk in pairs”.

Cathays Terrace is a popular road for students to live on

A 20-year-old woman was assaulted by an unknown man at around 3am near the Main Building.

Forensic examination and CCTV checks are on-going in order to identify the man responsible.

The second assault happened at the beginning of Freshers’ Week at a property on Cathays Terrace and was reported yesterday morning.

Inquiries into the incident are continuing and high-visibility police patrols are also taking place.

Lucy, a Cardiff University student who lives off Cathays Terrace said: “I saw the police van yesterday with a female officer in the door and thought it must be serious.

“It doesn’t surprise me that there has been an attack down Cathays Terrace again, I heard quite a few stories last year of people being chased home after night out.”

The attack happened during Freshers’ Week

Anna Hammond, from South Wales Police said: “South Wales Police is investigating a sexual assault at a property in Cathays Terrace, Cardiff.

“A full investigation has been launched and enquiries are continuing this evening.

“Additional high-visibility patrols are also taking place in the area to offer reassurance to residents.

“As always, we would remind people when walking around at night to do so in pairs or groups, to drink responsibly and stick to well-lit populated areas.”

The second attack happened 3am outside the Main Building

Cathays Councillor Chris Weaver said: “Everyone in the area needs to do all they can to stay safe especially people who are new to the area such as those on Freshers’ Week.

“Always try to stay with a friend and always make sure you have a safe way to get home.

“If anyone can help the police at all they should contact them immediately.”

Anyone with information is to contact South Wales Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800555111 quoting occurrence number 1500346785