Salou fest horror: Cheerleader falls 50ft from balcony and is left paralysed from the neck down

Dina Amos-Larkin will not be able to walk again

national

A Surrey Uni cheerleader has been left paralysed from the neck down after falling 50ft from her hotel balcony at Salou fest.

Team captain Dina Amos-Larkin, 21, fell down four floors when speaking to her mum on the phone and now she’ll never walk again.

The talented gymnast and trampolinist was in a medically-induced coma for two weeks before being told of her devastating condition.

Dina, who has previously represented Great Britain in trampolining was left with serious spinal injuries leaving her paralysed.

Speaking from Barcelona hospital, Dina told The Mirror: “It’s so hard to come to terms with. The doctors told me I’ll never walk again.

I’m willing them to be wrong. I know my life will never be the same but I am determined to one day stand up on my own and support my own weight”

Dina, known as Dee to friends, plummeted from her balcony at Hotel Jaime 1 after returning from a night out in Salou. She said:

“The balcony rail was lower than my waist and I think I just leaned back on it too far. I don’t remember anything after that.”

The law student told the authorities that she had been drinking but wasn’t drunk, after her medical insurance was refused at Barcelona hospital due to her blood readings showing traces of alcohol in her body at the time of the fall.

The popular cheerleader’s friends and family have set up a GoFundMe page to originally raise £10,000 to fly her home and for specialist care for when she returns, as she still remains stranded in Barcelona hospital waiting for the results of her insurance case with AXA.

After floods of support the page has now set a target of £20,000 as after 1100 donations, over £18,000 has already been donated from friends, family, anonymous users and various university sports teams.

Surrey Students’ Union’s President, Maz Hussien, told The Tab: “The news of Dina’s recent tragic incident has had a profound impact on the close student community here at Surrey.

“We have heard from many concerned students, the comment below reflects the many others we have received: ‘She is such a kind and loving person; she takes time to get to know everyone, and really makes you feel part of a community.’

“There has been an overwhelming amount of support for her from friends, course mates and team members, however even students who’ve never met her have been in touch to wish her well.

“The Students’ Union is in the process of establishing its own fundraising page to assist the many students on campus who want to help bring Dina home, which we will be launching shortly. This includes the provision for GiftAid, which will boost fundraising efforts.

“On behalf of all students at Surrey we want to wish Dina strength and courage during the months ahead while she works on her recovery.”