‘The crowd is killing the vibe’: Students speak out about admission policy at Treatment

Clubbers fuming over open doors

Irate students have lashed out at Treatment’s open admission policy – saying “the crowd can kill the vibe.”

Cardiff’s vibesiest night, which returns this semester with the likes of Bondax, Eats Everything and Annie Mac, has been attracting Adidas wearing students since it started back in 2012.

But now outraged students have spoken out about the influx of non-students at the event in the SU.

Students at Treatment.

It’s a night usually dominated by scrunchie-wearing student revellers, but some student Treatment goers have admitted to being put off by the growing non-student crowd.

Now, speaking to The Tab, students have told how the night has been ruined by non-students, with some saying “the crowd can kill the vibe”.

Carys, a third year molecular Biology student said: “The crowd has changed since the event has got more popular and sometimes I don’t find it enjoyable.”

Journalism student Charlie told The Tab:  “The line ups are decent although sometimes the crowd can kill the vibe.”

And Ada, who studies English Lit, thinks SU events should be for students only. She said: ” I don’t like the fact the event is accessible to non-students, it’s at the student union after all.”

But not everyone’s bothered by the mixed crowd. Treatment have announced their biggest and best line-ups this term, and many are excited for the event to kick off again on 10th October.

Laurel, a third year psychology student, said: “Big names and acts in every line up and the fact it’s at the student union means it’s on our doorstep.”

Meg, who studies Psychology, said: “The music is sick, but it’s definitely a fashion contest.”

Gaby, third year Economics student, said: “I like the variety of music available in each of the different rooms.”

Liam, a third year Radiotherapy student said: “There is a great mix of world-renowned artists at each event.”

Lewis, who studies journalism, said: “There’s a good selection of acts at an affordable price. A negative is the long queues to get in.”

Polly @ Treatment.

Polly, a third year English Lang student, said: “I like the fact it supports local artists and DJs too.”

Hannah, who studies Microbiology, said: “The event has an absolutely great vibe, everyone there with the same love for house and dance music.”

And it’s not just students who’ve been impressed by Treatment in the past few months.

George Grigg, who has been running events at Buffalo bar for 2 years, said: “The event allows smaller artists the opportunity to get a foot in the door – its good it’s not all chart or recognized artists.

“However sometimes myself and others find it difficult as Treatment sign all the big artists.”

Nick Saunders, founder of Shangri-La at Glam, said: “With Treatment coming to the city it’s great to see huge names playing and putting Cardiff on the map as a place that has a good house scene.

“We don’t see Treatment as direct competitors as we plan our dates carefully and we are able to charge a fraction of the price Treatment does. Competition is something which keeps you on your toes and makes you think outside the box.”

Alex, a third year Business Management student said: “They’ve used clever marketing to attract people to their events.”

Olivia, a Geology student who loves rocks said: “I think they don’t have much competition with the smaller companies because others can’t get big enough venues. All the other similar nights are at smaller bars and clubs – I love the space in the SU.

“Treatment has also become well known in Cardiff meaning bigger DJs are happy to play for a recognized brand.”