Berry nice to eat you: beat the student blues with a flipping good pancake

Bored of sugar and lemon? We try our hand at making blueberry cinnamon swirl pancakes.

blueberry cinnamon pancake day pancakes recipe

While for some people lemon and sugar will always rule Pancake Day, we fancied trying something new this year and what better to beat the February blues than a pile of super-delish blueberry and cinnamon pancakes?

You’ll need:

150g self raising flour, 130ml milk, 1 egg, butter, caster sugar, a handful of blueberries (or two if you have tiny hands like me), cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

Put the flour, 2tbsp of sugar and the salt into a mixing bowl, give it a little mix then set it aside.

In a microwavable bowl, melt a knob of butter, then once it has cooled add the egg and milk and whisk together.

Going back to the dry ingredients bowl, make a well in the middle like so:

Pour the milk egg and butter combo into the middle and mix it all up until you end up with a smooth, thick batter like this:

Let this batter kick back and relax while you make the blueberry cinnamon batter.

Place the blueberries in a bowl and mash them up until they are liquidy as you can get ’em, add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tbsp of caster sugar and give it a mix. Next, take two tablespoons of the batter you made earlier and mix it in with the blueberries etc. So you now have one bowl of normal ol’ batter, and another of fun, purple batter.

To cook, heat a pan to a medium-high heat, swirl a knob of butter around the pan then add a couple of spoonfuls of the plain batter, then dollop a few teaspoonfuls of the blueberry batter on top and swirl it all around with the end of a wooden spoon. Flip it over when it’s golden brown on the underside. Repeat until you run out of batter, you should be able to make 5-6 pancakes.

Stack them up on a plate, scatter over some blueberries, pour over some maple syrup if you fancy, et voilà! A stack of blueberry-cinnamon goodness to celebrate Shrove Tuesday in style.