Man guilty of attempting to rob student in halls

20-year-old from Barry convicted of attempting to rob medical student returning home from Cardiff library.

Jack Jones, a 20-year-old from Barry, followed a student home as she was returning from a 5am study sesh at the Cardiff Uni library.

The female medical student was returning home in the early hours of the morning.

Jones followed her through the gate of Senghennydd Hall where she claimed to have either fallen or been pushed to the ground and turned round to see a man starting to remove his trousers.

The petrified medic then screamed as he attempted to grab her bag.

The student was followed through the gates of her hall of residence

The jury acquitted Jones of “committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence” but found him guilty of battery and attempted robbery.

He has been given a 12 month sentence, suspended for 2 years, plus 180 hours of unpaid community service and a three month night-time curfew.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year

Jones told the court that he was “killing time” before going to pick his girlfriend up from the airport, and was on his way to visit a pal on Senghennydd Road.

He also attempted to explain away the charge of attempted robbery by saying that the student had startled him when she fell over and screamed which caused him to get his foot stuck in the strap of her bag.