A Night With The Arctic Monkeys

Making the rounds on their UK tour, the much loved Arctic Monkeys give one hell of a night at the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena

After their chart topping success and Mercury Prize nomination with their 5th album entitled ‘AM’, The Arctic Monkeys tour was a big deal for many fans new and old. With 5 successful irresistibly addictive albums under their belt, The Arctic Monkeys setlist was never going to disappoint. Gracing the stage to a sold out Motorpoint Arena, they put on a show which won’t be forgotten in a hurry.

Getting hold of tickets themselves can be seen as an achievement with tickets selling out in under an hour. This led to many an energetic victory dance and equally, many a dose of jealous rage. Luckily, I was part of the former and graced the Motorpoint arena with excitement rivalling the excitement of the arrival of a student loan installment.

Alex Turner. A top class showman

With a career spanning over 11 years its clear to see why the Arctic Monkeys are still hailed one of the best British bands around with each album although stylistically different, still dominating amongst the British music industry. Their tour is seen to reflect the sense of musical journey with their set spanning their career with undeniable anthems such as ‘Dancing Shoes’ alongside a more mature funk sound emerging from AM hits such as ‘One For The Road’.

A careful balance was achieved between energy demanding classics such as ‘I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor’ and more arm swaying tracks such as ‘I Wanna Be Yours’, ensuring that we regained some breath and more importantly, more energy to put in to the belting (or more like screeching) of the rest of the set.

Fans weren't left disappointed

Fans weren’t left disappointed

Frontman Alex Turner lived up to ‘too cool for his own good’ image sporting a teddy-boy style haircut and addressing the audience with subtle zest and charm, deeming the crowd ‘good looking’ ultimately leaving many girls, and boys alike, left in a puddle of adoration.

It’s hard to ask for much more from such a varied and well executed gig and you would be greedy to demand any more in terms of setlist as well as professionalism. With over 11 years in the industry, it’s clear that The Arctic Monkeys have made their stamp in the industry and shall continue to as long as they are in it. I shall also continue to be an over-excited fan girl.