Big Night Out: Cardiff’s AU clubs star in boozy documentary

American Footballers and other clubs are filmed from pre-lash to Retros by Vice magazine.

video

Members of the AU starred in a boozy documentary which followed them from the pre-lash to Retros.

The video, which was part of Vice Magazine’s Big Night Out series, saw presenter Clive Martin join students from the American Football team and other sports for a night of 99p Jaegers.

We met up with the student host James to get his take on the night. He told The Tab: “What was supposed to be a standard birthday pre-drinks turned in to a very interesting Big Night Out back in May. One of the invitees, a club rep, messaged me saying they had some media types asking to film a session for a new TV show and if I was interested in hosting them. I was promised the bright lights of Channel 4, but in reality got the mic-mounted cameras of Vice magazine.

The birthday boy James

Team bonding

“Still, I was going to be on telly, so couldn’t complain. The plan was to booze heavily in the flat, then head to Retros to make the most of Wednesday night’s 99p jagerbombs then see where the night took us.

Mystery drink

“The crew were going to film bits randomly, as and when needed and reward us with a case of Oranjebooms for being such great sports. No problem. They were likeable lads, probably more suited to a Welsh Club night than to the endeavours of the uni American Football team and a handful of cheerleaders, but joined in on dirty pints and chants to their credit.

Down it Fresher

“Once in Retros, the camera drew the birds from far and wide and after a couple of “thanks for a lovely evening” jagerbombs the crew and I separated to do our things. Shark and film. The rest of the night is a fair blur, even the flat party everyone came back for, including the Vice boys, lacks a lot of details but they left a note saying cheers and some disclaimers.

Artistic alcoholism

“The host was dryly humorous and I think he’d agree we’d been most hospitable. What I have for my efforts is a video my parents wouldn’t approve of with some token lad-tivities and a day’s worth of congratulatory Facebook posts when it first came out. Lovely stuff.”