Luckwell out of Varsity

Rhys Luckwell has been ruled out of the Varsity match after suffering a broken clavicle during a routine defence drill this morning. The back row forward felt his shoulder go […]

Rhys Luckwell has been ruled out of the Varsity match after suffering a broken clavicle during a routine defence drill this morning.

The back row forward felt his shoulder go numb after a tackle. At first he thought it was what is known in the game as a ‘stinger’ which sends a tingling sensation around the affected area. Further diagnosis shows that Rhys in fact broke his collar bone.

Luckwell in action against Hartpury earlier this season

With less than two weeks before the showpiece event at the Millennium stadium, the Cardiff University flanker was set to not only start the game, but was also favourite to captain the side.

Rhys said: “I am absolutely gutted to be missing the game, but I have full confidence in the boys to bring home the win.”

The Biochemistry student has been a stalwart figure throughout his three seasons with CURFC both on and off the field, being a regular starting back row and playing a pivotal role in the club’s committee.

Luckwell receiving his Varsity 2012 shirt from Martyn Williams

Rhys captained Cardiff’s 1st XV to a comfortable victory over a Cardiff District Select team on Wednesday night in preparation for the clash against Swansea University on April 24.

Luckwell was becoming a regular captain for the side in the BUCS league which sparked rumours he would captain the team for the Varsity match after Ross Wardle declared himself unavailable for the fixture earlier this week.

Cardiff University team mate Sion Jones said: “Myself and the rest of the boys are gutted for Rhys. We’re all aware of how hard he’s worked for this opportunity and his presence on the field will be missed.”

Rhys was a member of last year’s winning Varsity squad, featuring from off the bench. However, having grown into one of the squad leaders this season, he seemed destined to play a greater role in this year’s game.

Rhys and team mate Craig Lodge with the Varsity Cup last year

From everyone in CURFC and at The Tab Sport, we wish Rhys a speedy recovery.