Seven ways to combat Week 5 Blues

Week 5 is not for the weak…

Week 5 Blues: whether you sceptically believe it’s all one big placebo fuelled by Cambridge tradition or are an avid supporter of the chaos of Week Five, here are seven things you can do to distract yourself from the harsh reality of being half way through term.

Get Jack’s

The late-night ice cream grind is such a Cambridge phenomenon. I was having an essay crisis at 11pm the other day and it seemed that ice cream had all of the answers (thankfully Jack’s is literally 20 seconds from Corpus). Where else do you know that you actually have to queue to get ice cream at almost midnight?

Treat yourself to being overwhelmed by the choice of flavours rather than by all of your work.

Disclaimer: this was very much a Fresher’s week purchase and not usually how much I spend on ice cream lol (Image credit: Patrick Dolan)

Stalk Camfess

Bored in a lecture? Camfess. Bored in the library? Camfess. Bored of this article already? Straight to Camfess.

Nothing cheers me up more than the diversity of posts on this page: whether it be college slander or Cambridge Karens, please keep the posts coming in because they’re keeping us all going x

I wouldn’t feel too bad about getting a Week 5 maccies either! (Image credit: screenshot from Camfess)

Rumboogie the blues away

Admittingly clubbing isn’t everyone’s scene, but I guess there’s got to be a reason why we were voted 8th best night out in the UK?! The same songs, the same people and the same smoking area drama: treat yourself during Week 5 and take this opportunity to feel like a real-life student.

Besides, you’ll probably have sweated so much at revs that there will physically be no tears left to cry.

Even better when Halloween is just before the blues hit (Image credit: Patrick Dolan)

Romanticise Cambridge

There’s a reason why the tourists look so happy. Whilst I wouldn’t really recommend looking at the Corpus Clock for too long because its literal purpose is to remind you of your mortality, take some time to take Cambridge in all of its dark academia glory.

Go take a look at King’s Chapel (and its mesmerising scaffolding) or pass by the Van of Life and remind yourself of its iconic status in Cambridge.

I think we need to do another article on why we call it the Van of Life (instead of Trailer??) (Image credit: Patrick Dolan)

College Brunch

Brunch?! I guess our lives aren’t that bad. The best thing to do after you’ve had a lie-in (if you’re lucky to not be woken by up those bloody bells) is to head to a college brunch.

Now, I can vouch for Corpus and say its brunch is definitely up there with the best. I’ve heard Pembroke’s is good too. Maybe even Medwards or Girton might accommodate outsiders if you’re lucky (and willing to travel!)

Regardless of your college, use week 5 as an excuse to indulge in those 50p hash browns and forget about your academic crisis.

Take a break

Crazy Cambridge life means feeling like you have to be busy all the time, even if you’re not working. These past five weeks have flown by.

Catch up on those things you’ve neglected: call friends from home and remind them that you go to Cambridge (in case they’ve forgotten), take your college puffer for a stroll or watch Harry Potter to remind yourself you actually do go to Hogwarts.

A walk without my puffer because it hasn’t arrived yet 🙁 (Image credit: screenshot from author’s BeReal)

Go on a tour of the bridges

There are 25 bridges here! I guess it’s called Cam-bridge for a reason.

Venture out into the fresh air and see what all of the fuss amongst the tourists is about. Sigh about the awful supo you’ve just had as you see the Bridge of Sighs or ditch your Maths degree to stare at the Mathematical Bridge.

You might even want to do it whilst punting, but maybe save that for Week 5 blues in a warmer term!

Or maybe we could just have a reading week?

After reading this article, there’s no doubt you’ll save those tears for another day (or for Week 6 at least x)

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. 

Feature image credits: Vedika Mandapati, screenshot via Camfess