Preview: Tick, Tick… BOOM!

Tick, Tick… BOOM! runs at the ADC theatre 19th-22nd October

Coming to the ADC theatre this week is an exciting production of Jonathan Larson’s semi-autobiographical musical Tick, Tick… BOOM!

The show tells the story of a struggling musician called Jon.  As he approaches his thirtieth birthday, he panics that his life is ticking away even though he has yet to write a breakthrough musical.  Meanwhile, his best friend has found corporate success, and his girlfriend wants to leave the city and start a more conventional life.  Jon wonders if his music is worth the hardship it’s brought him, and if it’s time to give up on his dream.

The cast is evidentially very excited about the project. The director, Mimi Pattinson, feels that the themes of the show are particularly appropriate for students, since the main character struggles with how wrapped-up his goals are in his identity what wonders what path his life will take.  ‘It’s such a fun musical,’ Mimi says, ‘and has a lot of heart.  It has a great workshop-vibe that makes it really well-suited for the late show timeslot.’

The group had just ten days to prepare for the show.  Xander Pang, who stars as Jon, says, ‘it’s been intense, but because it’s a small tight cast we’ve really bonded during the rehearsal process.  It’s amazing to work with such a talented group.’  There is something quite special in a group of young creatives collaborating on a play about musicians, actors and dancers.

Tick, Tick… BOOM! is showing at 10:30 from Wednesday 19th to Saturday 22nd October at the ADC Theatre.  Tickets are available here: https://www.adctheatre.com/whats-on/musical/tick-tickboom/

Feature Image Credits: Anna Piper-Thompson