Preview: Wuthering Heights

‘This is not a love story’ Wuthering Heights, adapted by Andrew Sheridan runs at the ADC Theatre 11-15th October 2022

Opening at the ADC this week, Andrew Sheridan’s 2020 adaptation of Emily Brontë’s classic novel promises to be a performance to remember; with the rich, syrupy original elevated to new heights by powerful adaptation, a stellar creative team and a cast and crew set to make their mark.

Raffaella Sero, assistant director and co-producer shares a little of what awaits…

Kitty Ford (centre) offers a powerful interpretation of Heathcliff (Image Credit: Rafaella Sero)

Wuthering Heights isn’t a love story. Inhabited by cruel, insufferable characters, Emily Brontë’s novel is a story of passion, hatred, obsession, but not of love.

Yet, CUADC’s production of Andrew Sheridan’s 2020 adaptation, running as the ADC main show from 11th-15th October, digs to the very core of Brontë story to probe the boundaries between love and addiction, identity and desire.

James Critchley’s direction, layering heartbreakingly authentic moments of human interaction with brilliantly choreographed abstract movements, flies on Sheridan’s adaptation to reach electrifying new levels of interpretation for Brontë’s classic.

Sarah Mulgrew (left) as the free spirited Cathy Earnshaw and Kitty Ford (right) as her Heathcliff (Image Credit: Rafaella Sero)

Kitty Ford’s Heathcliff — female, foreign, fatally ‘other’ — opposes a heart-stopping portrait of alienation to Sarah Mulgrew’s vibrant, moors-bound tomboy Cathy Earnshaw. The palpable chemistry between the two unearths startling layers of tenderness in an otherwise brutal story of repressed desire, while the support of a dazzling ensemble cast punctuates the dark landscape of Cathy and Heathcliff’s forbidden love with moments of genuine emotion as well as pure comedy gold.

The ADC stage roars with the eerie world of Brontë’s moors thanks to the show’s stunning original music and set design, at once stark and richly atmospheric. It may not be a love story, but this production delivers a Wuthering Heights like you have never seen it.

As you can see, the charged nature of both the original tale and the cutting-edge adaptation rises to the fore in words alone. And I for one anticipate that the breathing to life of this rich and turbulent story will be a performance not to be missed.

Get your tickets here.

Feature Image Credit: Charlotte Bunney

Articles recommended by this author: