Review: Not Even the Dogs

A harrowing play, celebrating the life and legacy of the Jews in Nazi-occupied Warsaw

This stark and harrowing tale, performed at the Corpus Playroom throughout this week 8, is a devised piece of theatre, based upon the true story of Polish Jew Emmanuel Ringelblum, and his experiences of wartime Warsaw and the Warsaw Ghetto, where the Jews were forced to live under the Nazi occupation during the Second World War. The show intends to honour his legacy, and to celebrate Jewish culture, which is so beautifully rich in stories: stories which deserve to be told.

From the very beginnings of this short but highly evocative piece, Ringelblum, as played by Saul Barrett, sets his sights on fighting the Nazis in an unconventional way, through the creation of an archive of writing, photography, and poetry, which he hoped would last and pay tribute to the lives and spirits of the Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto, thus preventing them from being erased from history by their oppressors.

“This is not the story of how they died. This is the story of how they lived.”

Image credits: Jemima Langdon

This show found its initial origins pre-Covid, and was originally conceived as nothing but an idea by Director Josh Baumring-Gledhill and Assistant Director Josh Myers. The rest of the cast then worked with them to devise the show together as a collective piece of work, with Josh Baumring-Gledhill taking the lead on the final directorial and writing decisions, Josh Myers taking the lead with the music, and Dominika Wiatrowska working as movement director, or “choreographer of the dance sequences” – although she highlights that everybody involved also contributed to devising the movement throughout the process of creation and rehearsals.

Indeed, from the outset it is clear that this is a play which works with movement and sound, with close attention to detail contributing to the hushed and haunting atmosphere onstage throughout. All five members of the cast – who each form part of the ensemble, and four of whom also take on scripted roles as distinct characters – remain on stage the entire time, which is no mean feat, even for a play which doesn’t quite last an hour.

Saul Barrett and Louisa Grinyer. Image credits: Jemima Langdon

Particularly worthy of note were the performances of the two lead actors, of course of Saul Barrett as Emmanuel Ringelblum himself, whose impassioned stage presence held the show together and then some, and of Louisa Grinyer, who portrayed his wife, Yehudis Ringelblum. Their chemistry was understated but believable, and this created a beautifully touching impression of marital love and strength in the face of adversity in the Warsaw Ghetto.

Fiercely believable, also, were the performances of Dominika Wiatrowska as Emmanuel and Yehudis’ son Uri, and Katya Stylianou as another talented writer-friend of theirs in Warsaw, Rachel Auerbach, both of whom complemented the lead couple’s story excellently, offering further perspectives and insight for the audience.

Image credits: Jemima Langdon

All in all, at times this evocative portrayal of the lives of four strong Polish Jews does feel more like a sketch than a fully painted picture of their lives, but for the most part this only renders it more chilling and impactful, and the careful use of the ensemble in the background, and the clever addition of music and blue-tinged lighting brings the entire show full-circle.

The entire team should be proud of the work they have put into Not Even the Dogs, for it is a touching celebration of the lives of many, and the passion behind it can be felt throughout. The storyline will linger with anybody who sees it this week, and I certainly hope that people will find the time this week 8 – now that term is officially over! – to stop by the Corpus Playroom for an hour to see it.

4/5

Not Even the Dogs is running at the Corpus Playroom at 9.30 from Tuesday 15th until Saturday 19th March. Get your tickets here

Feature image credits: Jack Dalton