What’s on in Cambridge: International Women’s Day

Events that you can attend in Cambridge for IWD 2022!

March 8th marks International Women’s Day and events are taking place across the University, the City and of course the world. There are links to online and specific area events on the official IWD website as well as a large list of University organised events linked here, but this is a round-up of some of the cool things going on that you can get involved with!

I personally will be kicking off my IWD celebrations on Tuesday the 8th of March (5:30-6:30) by taking part in a Bandana Workshop with Erika Silva as part of a new exhibition for the New Hall Art Collection. This will be looking at the power of embroidery and social justice campaigns as you learn to sew bandanas.  The art collection is one way you can celebrate art by women and non-binary creators, as it is the largest female and non-binary art collection outside of America (my fave Medwards fact.)

Image Credits: Olivia Bradley

Again, Championing Murray Edwards college, two of the college’s students, Malini Sachdeva-Masson and Oluwasikemi Adetola, will be on a panel with the likes of Natasha Walter (leading writer and broadcaster), Professor Lucy Delap (Professor of History here) and Ellie Fielding (Editor-in-Chief of The New Feminist.) The Panel, chaired by the President of Murray Edwards Dorothy Byrne, will be discussing ‘The Way Forward for Women’ an inter-generational debate on how we define feminism’s key concerns. They are offering free tickets for students and families, inviting people to make a donation towards the ticket costs. Held in the Auditorium at the Wellcome Foundation at 183 Euston Road (London) at 18:30 with drinks afterwards, it’s set to be a great event. (RSVP to [email protected] )

Malini pictured left and Sikemi on the right! (Image Credits: Malini Sachdeva Masson)

IWD @ The Cambridge Brew House

There are also a few events at the Brew House, such as the free ‘Self Love talk with Penny Love,’ dating and relationship expert who specialises in highly sensitive and empathetic women.

As well as an interactive brewing day (8th of March all-day drop-in), where you can “get your hands dirty” and get involved with the brewing process as well as an invite for when the beer is ready! Or alternatively, if you’re not looking for a hands-on event, there is also a tour with the head brewer Vanesa, who is apparently ready to talk all things beer-related. The tickets for these events are free but limited, plus, they are teaming up with Cambridge Woman’s aid, with £1 per pint going to the charity! Tickets here.

Image Credits: The Cambridge Brew House

Put the International in International Women’s day 

The Schomburg Centre (a research centre for Black Culture based in Harlem) is running a virtual Black Feminist Futures series, featuring programs highlighting the relationship between Afrofuturism & Black feminism.

• Black Women Planting for the Future (Wednesday, 9th of March 12:00-13:30)
  • Black Women Organising for the Future (Thursday, 4th of March, 12:30-13:30)

Both events will be streamed on YouTube but you need to register with your email to be sent a link to participate! Also, important to note: this event is international so times will be in a different time zone. Tickets here. 

#BreakTheBias

The theme for this year’s International Women’s Day is ‘Break the Bias’ and there is an opportunity to understand how we “can all become diversity and inclusion champions” with a live online discussion with panellists from Accenture, EY, Currys group and Scott Dunn. The webinar will be held on Monday 7th of March (from 12:00) and they’ll be asking and answering what role everyone can play in ending the cycle of bias. The ‘everywomanNetwork’ partner webinars are promised to be “lively, informal conversations on topical issues related to diversity and inclusion, and learning and development.” Tickets here.

The beloved Waterstones in Cambridge is also putting on an event to celebrate International Women’s Day. On Thursday the 10th of March (18:00-19:30) the author of Cecily, Annie Garthwaite, will be in conversation with Dr Tory Young, a lecturer in modern and contemporary literature at ARU. Cecily, explores the life of Cecily Neville, Duchess of York, who was once at the heart of the War of the Roses. The two will be chatting about this historical woman and women in history. General Admission is £5, or £10 to also get a copy of the book! Tickets and more info here.

#WomenInSTEM

The Institute of Astronomy is also honouring the scientific contributions made by women in a half-day event with speaker Professor Belinda Wilkes, a career panel, an observatory Tour and a lunch. Although the opportunity to attend in person is now closed you can still register for the online event here. 

Or, if you want to keep your head out of the stars, the Cambridge Biomedical Campus in support of Cancer Research UK, Cambridge Institute, is hosting a screening of the film ‘Picture a Scientist.’ The event will take place on Tuesday 8th March (11:00-13:00) and popcorn will be provided! The film is 55 minutes long and is followed by a panel discussion and a ‘light finger buffet’ (they really think that food will encourage us to leave our beds and they are right.)

Image Credits: Ed Morgan

You can watch the trailer of the film here. You can find out more information and book tickets here.

There are also LOADS of society events and collegiate events. From formals to panels, dinners, and drinks, look out on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter! To name but one Cambridge Women in Business is teaming up with St. John’s College FemSoc for an IWD conference, with live performances, art, speeches food and drink!

Feature Image Credits: Olivia Gaskell

Articles recommended by this author: