University of Cambridge to hold vigil for those affected by Ukraine invasion

The vigil will be at the Senate House ‘for all those affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine’

Today (02/03), the University of Cambridge sent a notice to all students informing them of its intent to hold a vigil at the Senate House on Thursday, 3 March, “for all those affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.” The Senate House will be “illuminated in the colours of the Ukrainian flag.”

The gates to the Senate House will open at 6 p.m., with “a few short speeches” beginning at 6:30 p.m. The email also informed students that “those gathered will be asked to leave by 7:15 p.m.”

The unsigned email asserted “all members of the University are welcome to attend,” noting that “the safe capacity of the Senate House Yard is 500.” It also suggested that attendees are “welcome to gather on King’s College lawn to the side of the yard, or on the pavement in front of Great St Mary’s Church.”

This vigil follows the release of a statement on the invasion of Ukraine by the Vice-Chancellor, Stephen J. Toope, who described it as an “unprovoked act of war.”

The University-organised vigil is one of many events in the U.K. against the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Local groups have also organised similar protests in Cambridge. This Saturday (05/03) at 1:00 p.m., the following groups call on “everyone to protest against military intervention” at Market Square: Cambridge Stop The War, Demilitarise Cambridge, and Cambridgeshire Climate & Social Justice Coalition.

Cambridge University Ukrainian Society has held protests in solidarity with Ukrainians for much of this week.

They will also hold a march of solidarity this Saturday at 2 p.m., starting from Sidgwick Avenue (near the Faculty of MMLL). The event’s Facebook page “[invites] you to join us for a public demonstration in support of Ukraine, Ukrainians, global security, democracy and peace.”

Feature image credits: Tobia Nava