Breaking News

‘Oil’-covered climate protestor interrupts Trinity College’s hall

A member of Youth Climate Swarm poured fake oil over herself in protest

On Tuesday (15/02), Gabriella Ditton interrupted Trinity College’s lunch service by standing atop a table and pouring fake oil over herself. Ditton is affiliated with Youth Climate Swarm (YCS) and was drawing attention to the climate emergency in the UK.

Ditton was accompanied into the hall by colleagues who handed out leaflets about the YCS campaign as she made a speech.  After pouring fake oil over herself, she held up a sign asking “Do I have your attention now?”

She then used a megaphone to comment on the climate emergency, claiming that “education will not save you from the climate crisis. Money will not save you from the climate crisis.”

Ditton then drew attention to what she believed students should be doing in light of the climate crisis: “mass participation in nonviolent civil resistance.”

After her brief words, she and her colleagues walked out of Trinity’s Great Hall.

Youth Climate Swarm is a non-violent civil resistance campaign that “aims to mobilise young people to act against government decisions harmful to the current climate crisis.” They are currently engaged in actions at universities and colleges around the country.

YCS are currently working in support of Just Stop Oil. The JSO campaign demands that the government stop all future licensing and consents for the exploration, development and production of fossil fuels in the UK.

Before the event, Gabriella Ditton commented: “This is the most terrifying thing I’ve ever done. But if it brings attention to our campaign, it’s gonna be worth it.” The campaign also clarified that the “fake oil” Gabriela poured over herself was made with organic, washable materials – pond dye, water and guar gum.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

All Image Credits: Youth Climate Swarm