Apply now to join The Cambridge Tab’s team for Lent 2022!

Because you missed the Freshers’ Fair and now want to join the best society in Cam

Want experience in writing for a publication? Looking for a place where your Cambridge experiences can be transformed into TikToks? Excited about the chance to make a difference for Cam students, with the added bonus of new friends, society stash and social nights out? Well, look no further, because applications to join The Tab Cambridge’s team in Lent term as a writer, editor or social media manager are now open– no prior journalistic experience required!

We’d love to have you on board and encourage you to apply and join our writer’s group for regular commissions and Tab updates.

There is such a variety of content you can cover while writing for The Tab. With articles from last term including investigations into how students feel about nightclub safety, to interviewing your Cambridge interviewer, to opinions on being unapologetically black in Cambridge, there’s something for everyone, no matter your interests or level of experience.

Feel free to apply to multiple roles too – you can be at the forefront of student news in Cambridge, but can also feature in our TikTok joking about week five blues, or Cambridge Colleges as Taylor Swift eras. As the ancient saying goes, The Tab is your oyster.

And, if that hasn’t convinced you enough, with over 20,000 likes on our Facebook page, room for progression within the team, and opportunities for your articles to be picked up by The Tab National, or even major mainstream news outlets such as local TV and radio, The Tab Cambridge is a great and wide-reaching platform to make your voice heard on all things Cambridge.

The team is so friendly and supportive, and we really want to encourage and help people try out writing and continue to improve! No matter your level of experience, we’d love to hear from you so we can recruit as diverse and creative of a team as possible, in order to represent the many voices of the Cambridge community and continue to highlight the student perspective.

Just saying x (Photo credits: Author’s own screenshot from Camfess)

Apply here by Wednesday 5th January at 8pm.

The positions

News reporters and editors

Our news section has really taken off, and it is such an exciting team to be a part of. The Cambridge Tab has broken stories that have been picked up by The Tab National and even UK newspapers – in fact in Michaelmas last term, we were even interviewed on BBC local TV and radio! If you love the thrill of getting a story out fast, this is the section for you!

Opinions writers and editors

Our Opinions section has been so incredible this term at covering the multitude of contentious issues in Cambridge, such as desirability politics in Cambridge and outdated College formal traditions, and we would love you to join the team to continue to help us highlight all these extremely important issues. This is a great opportunity to speak up and make your voice heard on the topics that matter to you and other Cambridge students.

Culture/Theatre writers and editors

Lent term is going to be an exciting time for Theatre. Whether you are well-versed in Cambridge drama and music or just enjoy Netflix binging, this is the section for you. Our editors get the chance to review Cambridge theatre from ADC Mainshows to fresher’s plays at the Corpus Playroom.

Interviews writers and editors

There is a huge range of choice within the interviews section – as well as opportunities to interview big names speaking at the Cambridge Union, you can help to celebrate the amazing work that students and societies continue to do throughout Cambridge through interviewing them about their work!

The interviews team teaches you to talk to anyone about anything and it is one of the most rewarding experiences out there- especially when you get to meet Toby from Love Island!

Features writers

Features are what the Tab does best: whether you are writing about which Cambridge supermarket is the best or telling students which Oxbridge accounts they need to follow, we want you on the team! This is a very flexible section allowing our editors and writers to writing about anything they’re interested in. We are also very fond of quizzes so if you think you could be better than BuzzFeed, apply now. You can be Cambridge’s key source of humour, essay procrastination and inspiration for household bonding activities.

Social Secretary

Are you good at event planning? Do you enjoy a good social? At the Tab we’re looking for someone to help organise our socials- either in a role on its own, or alongside working as an editor/writer/ social media manager! With our connections to the Cambridge club night organisers and a big budget for socials this term is going to the best yet!

Tab TV editors

The Tab broadcasting platform has been growing steadily over the last term, but we are still eager for more! If you are a whizz at video editing, are TikTok famous, or you have absolutely no experience whatsoever, we would love to hear from you. We want to grow our TikTok account and have more inactive videos on our Instagram, but we are also open to big ideas for serial content. We are looking for enthusiastic people with lots of ideas to join our lovely team.

Social media managers

The Tab Cambridge’s Twitter has over 6,600 followers, and our Instagram account has 6100 followers, which makes it a really exciting and upcoming team to be a part of! We’re looking to keep this key part of The Tab really active this term, with memes, photo competitions, story challenges, and more!

This is such a fun role which is really open to interpretation, and we’re always looking for new ideas to help reach new readers and keep people engaged with the work of our talented team, so apply now!

Columnists

This is a great role to go for if you’re looking for some flexibility, as you can choose your own topic and you have a lot of creative freedom over the feel of the articles and how many of them you want to write. We’ve had columns on a whole range of topics, from student recipes to student wellness advice, so there’s lots of choice and something for everyone. If you have an idea that you’d like to try out, let us know in your application!

Photographers

Are you desperate to get back to Cambridge to take pictures of the Cam at sunset or King’s Parade on a busy day? This is a super low commitment role that involves nothing other than taking photos of Cambridge and sharing them with us. The role is a great chance to have your photography published on our website, and you can tell all your friends you are a ‘real photographer.’

Occasional writers

If you can’t commit to The Tab team completely next term, that is ok! Join our Facebook group for regular commissions you can pick up whenever, or if you ever have any ideas for an article you want to write, message us on our Facebook page or message either of our Editors-in-Chief (Zac Copeland-Greene or Hannah Huang) over Facebook, or reach us at our email ([email protected]).

If you have any questions, please feel free to message either of us using the above contact details, and we can’t wait to receive your applications!