Breaking News

UCU strike dates announced for early December

Strikes in Cambridge will take place from 1st-3rd December

Earlier today (16/11), the University and College Union (UCU) announced that strikes would take place this term from the 1st-3rd of December this year. The website indicates that if the strikers demands are not met there may be more “sustained disruption.”

58 universities will be striking over pay and pension disputes. Cambridge forms a part of 33 universities that will be striking on both fronts, while the remaining 25 will strike for pay over for pension.

A full list of universities striking next month can be found here.

The union also intends to re-ballot for strikes in UCU branches where the 50% turnout threshold required for industrial action voting was missed. They also “intend to escalate” disruptions next term if they are not met with a sufficient response from employers, according to the UCU statement.

Two weeks ago Cambridge University voted in favour of the strikes regarding pensions. 71% of the Cambridge UCU voted in favour of strikes, and there was a 51.7% turnout. 86.8% of members also voted that they were prepared to take action short of a strike.

This story will be updated as more information is released.

Feature image credits: Sophie Carlin