Review: A Comprehensive Understanding

A great laugh that pokes fun at social class

Showing for the first time Wednesday evening and on for another two nights, A Comprehensive Understanding is a hilarious skit show that pokes fun at social class.

The show opens with seven TV execs wondering why ratings for their posh ads have dipped so low, “if only middle class mums were still watching TV!” Realising that they all went to state school, they resolve to create the kind of content they themselves want to watch.

The cast

A Comprehensive Understanding. Image Credit: Joshua Obichere

Reminiscent of the heavily Cambridge-recruited skit show Bruiser, what follows is a series of often absurd skits, each recycling the main cast. The most memorable include an American, Ted Bundy-obsessed family at a funfair, a ‘softboy’ hotline, an ad that plays up to toxically masculine products for men and an angry woman in a nightclub.

Cast members at the ADC. Image Credit: Joshua Obichere

Following comedy tradition, the skits often zoom out and are put into a new context; neither an aerobics class nor a driving test is what it seems…

In keeping with the title, an education theme also runs throughout with more than one skit in a classroom and many involving teachers. In a hilarious moment, two people kidnap private school students to commandeer working pritt sticks!!

Despite a cast member being injured and two crew members stepping in on the first night, it was impossible to tell and they all delivered a solid and uplifting show with lots of laughs.

All proceeds of the show also go towards IntoUniversity, an education and social mobility charity, so get buying those final tickets!

4/5 stars

Buy tickets here and get in quick to see this fab show before it closes on Saturday 13th November 2021!