Review: The Nature of a Curve

The stunning lesson in Welsh politics that you didn’t know you needed

This play, written and directed by Gareth Scourfield, follows a disgraced Welsh minister desperate to retain her seat in the Senedd. The quite frankly disagreeable main character Vicky (played by Daisy Brown) spirals into a selfish frenzy during the elections and is willing to lose her staff, friends, and family in the name of politics. As the minister slowly sets her life ablaze, it becomes clear that the Welsh dragon is not the only one breathing fire…

Intense themes of Welsh nationalism, separatism, and BBC impartiality are called into question by Scourfield’s piece and no stone is left unturned. On the ADC website, the show promises to offer “a glimpse into the under-scrutinised world of Welsh politics” and it does just this. The Nature of a Curve is a cleverly written comedy that is uncomfortably thought-provoking for the audience – whether you are an expert in Welsh politics or not.

Daisy Brown who plays Vicky (Image Credit: Daniel Fry via Facebook)

Even on the Corpus Playroom’s tricky L-shaped stage, the cast of rich characters are able to give raw performances that match Scourfield’s immersive plot. My only criticism is that although the lighting was effective in portraying a sense of space and place, I couldn’t help but feel that this play was worthy of a bigger venue. As the play progresses, immense political and personal highs and lows are unravelled. Due to this, the tension between actors becomes tangible.

In particular, the dynamic between Vicky (played by Daisy Brown) and her aide, Carys (played by Amy Mallows) is one worth paying attention to. These two match each other’s impressive energies to produce various intense scenes. A furious monologue from John was also a stand-out performance. Special mention goes to Vicky’s young intern Tim (played by Macsen Llewelyn) who has an incredible stage presence throughout the show. Llewelyn is the kind of actor that was enjoyable to watch even when he wasn’t speaking as he reacted so organically and comedically to every line. Without spoiling anything (I promise!), the character Tim offered much-needed comedic relief in moments of very high tension yet even he becomes a keystone of the piece. That’s all I’m going to say! *cough*

Macsen Llewelyn who plays Tim (Image Credit: Daniel Fry via Facebook)

I’m treading very carefully here but I just have to mention the final moments of this play. Scourfield’s genius use of dramatic irony left the audience stunned to their seats – even after the curtain call, people stayed behind to discuss what just happened. Chills. Literal chills. Okay, okay I’m done! Just go see it!

Head down to the Corpus Playroom to witness this intense political drama. Running until the 6th of November, this small but mighty cast will take you on a journey through Welsh politics and the ups and downs that come with it. Tickets are available here.

Feature image credits: Nature of a Curve via Facebook

Articles recommended by this author:

Review: Astrid

Cambridge Film Festival returns with an exciting line-up

We spoke to Cambridge actors for their best tips for applying to Cambridge theatre