Dr Kamal Munir appointed Pro-Vice-Chancellor of University of Cambridge

He aims to use the role to make Cambridge ‘a more dynamic, progressive and supportive place’

Dr Kamal Munir has been named Pro-Vice-Chancellor for a three year tenure, starting in October 2021.

In his role as Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Dr Munir will lead on matters relating to the University’s community, with an emphasis on staff and public engagement and will have “a focus on equality and diversity”, according to a statement from the University. Dr Munir has stated: “The role has been restructured with a greater emphasis on diversity which is quite exciting.

“We started doing some work on this a few years ago, but it’s really intensified over the past year. We really want Cambridge to be a leader in terms of how diverse, forward-thinking and progressive it is.”

Dr Munir looks forward to making Cambridge a ‘more dynamic, progressive and supportive place’ (Photo Credit: Kamal Munir via Twitter)

Dr Munir will lead the development and implementation of strategy and policy relating to all staff (academic and professional services).

He will also work to develop the University’s collections as “an important teaching and research resource”, and on the University’s public engagement with those outside the University community: locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.

Dr Munir will take over from Professor Ellis Ferran, who will complete her term in office as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Institutional and International Relations at the end of this academic year.

He will be one of the five Pro-Vice-Chancellors who support the Vice-Chancellor and provide academic leadership to the university, also working with the Heads of the Schools, the Registrary, the Chief Financial Officer and other senior colleagues to do so.

Dr Munir has been teaching at the Cambridge Judge Business School since 2000 (Photo Credit: Judge Business School via Facebook)

Pakistan-born Dr Munir has been associated with the university for over 20 years. He has been teaching at Cambridge Judge Business School since 2000 and his research in his current role as a Reader in Strategy and Policy focuses on technological and business model disruptions at the corporate and societal levels.

He is a Fellow of Homerton College, Academic Director at the Cambridge Centre for Strategic Philanthropy, a University Race and Inclusion Champion and one of five Equality Champions at the University, whose role it is to “increase inclusivity across the University.”

Dr Munir has written for multiple newspapers and journals including the Research Policy and Cambridge Journal of Economics, The Guardian and The Financial Times. Dr Munir has also has worked as a consultant to the State Bank of Pakistan, the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank and the Government of Pakistan, Britain and Nigeria.

Dr Munir starts the role on 1st October 2021 and has said he is looking forward “to your support in making Cambridge a more dynamic, progressive and supportive place for all as well as a catalyst for wider change.” 

Feature image credit: Cambridge University